Meet Our Staff
Director of Transportation/Safety
Email Mitchell, Kenny
School Bus Driver Trainer
Email Dalluge, Toni
Email Drinkut, Dustan
Email Pursley, Micah
Email Turner, Ron
Email Webb, Gayle
"Your children's safety is our main concern"
Welcome to the Transportation Department for Churchill County School District. Our goal is to get students to and from school in the safest, most effective
means possible. This is a large undertaking as we transport over 1,200 students to and from school each day.
- High school students that live within the city limits walk to school.
- Elementary school students within the city limits walk to the nearest school to ride a transfer bus to their school.
- Middle school students that live within the city limits need to check with transportation (423-7135) for the pick-up time and location for their in-town bus stop.
There will be transfer buses for the elementary students available at Northside Early Learning Center, E.C. Best, Numa, CCMS, and CCHS. Bus stops in the county are limited to state and county maintained roads. Bus stops are set up to accommodate as many students as possible near the area of the stop. Please inform your children that a school bus ride is a privilege and not a right. Students must also be at their assigned bus stop five (5) minutes earlier than the scheduled time.
All of our buses have video with cameras placed both in the front of the bus and the rear. Should there be an issue with behavior of any child, we will refer to the video for confirmation.
Safety is of the utmost importance. Be safe in the bus. Be safe around the bus. Do not pass the bus if the Red Lights are Flashing.
NRS 481.3571 states that "the driver of any vehicle upon a highway street or road, when meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any school bus, equipped with signs and signals required by law, which has stopped on the highway, street or road to receive or discharge any pupil and is displaying a flashing red light signal visible from the front and rear, shall bring his vehicle to an immediate stop and shall not attempt to overtake or proceed past the school bus until the flashing red signal ceases operation." The driver of a school bus who observes a violation of NRS 484.357 may prepare a report of the violation to be turned into law enforcement.
IT IS A MISDEMEANOR TO PASS A SCHOOL BUS WITH THE RED LIGHTS FLASHING.
This includes a multi-lane highway in both directions.
WHEN IN DOUBT STOP!
Speed limit in school zones is 15 MPH. Use caution while in a school zone.
Bus Routes & Transfers
Transportation | 2018-2019 School Bus Stops (4412 KB) 29-Oct-2018
Transportation | Student and Parent Bus Ridership Agreement (34 KB) 04-Sep-2018
For more information, contact us by filling out our form to send an email.
School Bus Rules
Parents/Guardians: Please take a few minutes and review the rules below with your student. These rules apply to all regular routes, field trips, and all sporting events. Our responsibility is the safe transportation of your students in our care. Bus routes and bus stops will be limited to state and county maintained roads and city streets.
- Students being transported are under the direction of the bus driver.
- Bullying, fighting, wrestling, boisterous or vulgar language or gestures, and inappropriate written material or activity is prohibited in any school bus or district vehicle. (Bullying and Cyber Bullying is Prohibited in Public Schools - NRS 388.134).
- Students shall use the emergency exits only in case of emergency.
- Students shall be on time (five (5) minutes early) for the bus in the morning. Buses depart school seven (7) minutes after dismissal bell. Students who miss their bus after school must go to the school office to secure a ride home.
- Fireworks, knives, explosives, guns, mace, and/or any other instruments which can be used to property damage or cause injury are not allowed on a vehicle. Look-alike instruments/weapons are treated as real articles.
- The following items are not allowed on the bus: animals, glass containers, aerosol cans, skateboards, fishing poles, snowboards, hockey sticks, weapons or look-alike weapons, golf clubs, skis, shovels, or laser pens. Roller blades must be transported in a duffle bag or backpack. Craft projects must be in a bag or box. Any item used in an unsafe manner may be confiscated, and the student must bring a parent/legal guardian to the Transportation Office to retrieve the item(s). It is against school policy to have a skateboard at school; therefore, they are not allowed on a school bus.
- Instruct your child in the safe manner of walking to and from the bus stop.
- Instruct your child to stand to the side of the road, at least ten (10) feet from the road, when waiting for the bus. Instruct your child to be respectful of their neighbor's property.
- Students shall remain seated, in their assigned seat, while the bus is in motion.
- When it is necessary to cross the road, students shall cross in front of the bus only when instructed by the bus driver.
- Students shall not extend their hands, arms, or head through bus windows.
- Written parental/legal guardian permission is required for students to exit the bus at a stop other than their regular stop. Permission slips must go through the school office for issuance of the proper bus pass.
- Students shall not open or close windows without permission of the driver.
- Students shall keep the bus clean and shall refrain from causing damage to the bus. Parents will be held accountable for any damage caused by their child.
- Students shall be courteous to the driver, students, and community members.
- Students who refuse to obey the directions of the bus driver promptly or refuse to obey regulations may forfeit their privilege to ride the bus.
- Students shall not interfere with any of the school bus operating controls except in an emergency or as instructed by the driver. This shall include the service door, which could deactivate the school bus safety warning system, and the emergency exits that set off alarms.
- Students shall not possess or use tobacco or electronic cigarettes in any form.
- Narcotics, drugs, or alcohol possession or use on the bus in prohibited.
- Students shall not light any type of combustibles on the bus.
- Students shall not throw objects on the bus.
- Students shall not eat or *drink on the bus. *Bottled water is allowed.
- Items which cannot be safely transported while in the pupil's lap or stowed in an empty seat or directly under the seat are prohibited.
Driver has no control on its operation.
Bullying and Cyber-Bullying is Prohibited on School Buses NRS 388.134
Please impress upon your child the importance of proper behavior on the bus. Misbehavior may cause his/her bus riding privilege to be revoked. Any behavior that distracts the driver is a SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARD that endangers all passengers. Even though the law DOES require school attendance for all eligible children, Nevada law DOES NOT require that school bus service be provided. It is offered at the option of the local school trustees and may be revoked for cause. A copy of all Misconduct Reports will be mailed to the parent.
- The first Misconduct Report will be considered a warning and could result in riding privileges being suspended on all buses for three to five days depending on the severity of the misconduct.
- The second report could result in a conference with parent, driver, and Transportation Manager and three to five days’ suspension of riding privileges on all buses.
- The third report will result in suspension of the student’s riding privileges for up to two weeks on all buses.
- The fourth report will result in suspension of all transportation privileges for the remainder of the school year. Habitual misconduct may result in permanent suspension from the privilege of bus transportation. Suspension from bus transportation does not excuse the student from school attendance.
- Any other offenses that jeopardize the health, safety, and well being of students, bus driver, or damage to the bus will result in automatic suspension.
THE FOLLOWING INFRACTIONS WILL RESULT IN MANDATORY EXPULSION
FROM THE SCHOOL BUS FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR:
- Physical harm or threat of physical harm to driver/objects thrown at driver.
- Possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon as well as assault and battery (NRS 202.265).
- Avoid the danger zones! Take ten (10) steps away from the bus before crossing. Never cross in the back of any school bus.
- Stop! Before crossing wait for your drivers signal.
- Check for traffic both ways.
- Listen! If your driver blows the horn, go back.
- Cross while continuing to check for traffic from both directions.
- Always walk straight across, never at an angle.
- If you drop something under or near a vehicle, tell the driver. NEVER stop and try to pick it up yourself.
- Please familiarize your students with the Bus safety diagram below!
- Students are to be absolutely quiet at all railroad crossings.
In winter months, bad weather may close schools or prevent school buses from operating. When a decision is made to close schools due to weather, the District will place a banner containing school closure information on the District and each Schools' web pages. Additionally, the District will notify KVLV radio (980 AM), who will announce school closures, and the Lahontan Valley News, who will place school closure information on their Facebook page.
The Transportation Department is open at 6:45 AM.
Motorists who pass school buses which are stopped to load or unload students have become a major safety concern across the nation and Churchill County is no exception. The 1997 Nevada Legislature passed legislation directing the School Districts to provide information on the law governing the passing of a school bus and safety at school zones as well as student safety around a school bus.
N.R.S. 484.357 states the driver of any vehicle upon a highway, street or road, when meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any school bus, equipped with signs and signals required by law, which has stopped on the highway, street or road to receive or discharge any pupil and is displaying a flashing red light signal visible from the front and rear, shall bring his vehicle to an immediate stop and shall not attempt to overtake or proceed past the school bus until the flashing red signal ceases operation.
The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus that is positioned in the other roadway. The driver of a vehicle need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus where traffic is controlled by a traffic officer.
"Divided highway" means a highway divided into two or more roadways by means of a physical barrier (i.e., wall, curb, island) or dividing section, constructed to impede the conflict or vehicular traffic traveling in opposite directions. THE RENO HIGHWAY IS NOT A DIVIDED HIGHWAY! Motorists who travel the four-lane portion of the highway must stop for the school bus when traveling in either direction.
Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and: (a) for a third or any subsequent offense within 2 years after the most recent offense, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000. and his driver’s license must be suspended for not more than 1 year. (b) For a second offense within 1 year after the first offense, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $250 and no more than $500. Also, a person's driver’s license must be suspended for 6 months. (c) For a first offense or any subsequent offense for which a punishment is not provided for in paragraph (a) or (b), shall be punished by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $500.
The driver of a school bus who observes a violation of NRS 484.357 is empowered by state law to prepare a report of the violation.
A REMINDER: please be extra cautious in a school zone (speed limit 15 MPH) and around a school where the bus stops are located. If the flashing red lights are operating and stop arms are extended, you are required to stop!
Federal Regulations require that we conduct Bus Evacuation Drills twice a year. These are done in the fall and the spring.
Documents & Forms
Forms | Bus Driver Training Manual 18 SBE.pdf (4225 KB) 11-Jun-2015
Forms | Travel | 2018 Local Mileage Reimbursement Form (249 KB) 02-Jan-2018
Forms | Transportation | 2018 Bus Driver Travel Claim (172 KB) 02-Jan-2018
Forms | Transportation | 2018 Bus Driver Travel Claim - Fillable (63 KB) 02-Jan-2018
Forms | Transportation | In Lieu of Transportation (2011) (113 KB) 10-Jun-2015
Forms | Transportation | Non-conforming Vehicle Driver Examination (13-14) (85 KB) 10-Jun-2015
Forms | Transportation | Out-of-State/Overnight Field Trip Req./Itinerary (492 KB) 16-Mar-2016
Forms | Transportation | Parent-Guardian Travel Log (53 KB) 10-Jun-2015
Forms | Transportation | Transportation Request (25 KB) 10-Jun-2015
Has your physical address changed recently?
If so, PLEASE contact your school with the new address!
We are located at 283 Sherman Street, Fallon, Nevada 89406